It is through introspection
we can resolve our human condition
Raj (Raja) Yoga or Yoga of Meditation
Yoga Day on BBC Sunday Morning Live with Jay Lakhani
British Wheel of Yoga keynote speech on Raj Yoga (Yoga of Meditation)
Yoga of Meditation explored with Youth
Many kinds of Yoga – can the real Yoga stand up?
Raj Yoga explored at Ganpaty Temple in Wimbledon - (Part - 01)
We start our spiritual journey with a belief system But the conclusion has to be first-hand experience
Raj Yoga explored at Ganpaty Temple in Wimbledon - (Part - 02)
Different types of Yoga
Karma Yoga (path of action),
Bhakti Yoga(path of devotion)
Jnana Yoga (path of knowledge)
Raj Yoga explored at Ganpaty Temple in Wimbledon - (Part - 03)
I am the seer and not what is seen
Aim of Yoga: Holding the mind still is Raj Yoga
Raj Yoga explored at Ganpaty Temple in Wimbledon - (Part - 04)
Analysis of our inner structure
Yam and Niyam
Daily life has to be disciplined before meditation is possible
Raj Yoga explored at Ganpaty Temple in Wimbledon - (Part - 05)
Two difficult disciplines
Satya: Be stickler for truth
Brahmacharya – Celibacy essential to rise above body consciousness
Raj Yoga explored at Ganpaty Temple in Wimbledon - (Part - 06)
Asana – hold body still to get handle on the mind
Pranayam is not breathing exercise – it is focusing on life force driving the lungs
Raj Yoga explored at Ganpaty Temple in Wimbledon - (Part - 07)
Success in Raj Yoga makes one prophet of humanity
Obstructions: Lack of teacher, Doubt, ill health, Siddhis (mental powers)
Questions on Yoga
How to progress? Focus on some icon or personality
How to measure our progress? You notice being more empowered
From Physical to Spiritual Yoga
Why does spirit takes on birth?
Why is it difficult to meditate?
Can One-pointedness lead to Yoga?
Is it better to be spiritual rather than religious?
What is the intensity of experience when we succeed?
Raja yoga as yoga system of Patanjali
Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
Patañjali statue (traditional form indicating Kundalini or incarnation of Shesha)
Raja yoga is a modern retronym introduced by Swami Vivekananda when he equated raja yoga with the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. After its circulation in the first half of 1st millennium CE, many Indian scholars reviewed it, then published their Bhāṣya (notes and commentary) on it, which together form a canon of texts called the Pātañjalayogaśāstra ("The Treatise on Yoga of Patañjali").
According to Axel Michaels, the Yoga Sutras are built upon fragments of texts and traditions from ancient India. According to Feuerstein, the Yoga Sutras are a condensation of two different traditions, namely "eight limb yoga" (ashtanga yoga) and action yoga (kriya yoga). The kriya yoga part is contained in chapter 1, chapter 2 verse 1-27, chapter 3 except verse 54, and chapter 4. The "eight limb yoga" is described in chapter 2 verse 28-55, and chapter 3 verse 3 and 54.
There are numerous parallels in the concepts in ancient Samkhya, Yoga and Abhidharma schools of thought, particularly from 2nd century BCE to 1st century AD, notes Larson. Patanjali's Yoga Sutras may be a synthesis of these three traditions. From Samkhya school of Hinduism, Yoga Sutras adopt the "reflective discernment" (adhyavasaya) of prakrti and purusa ( dualism), its metaphysical rationalism, as well its three epistemicmethods to gaining reliable knowledge. From Abhidharma Buddhism's idea of nirodhasamadhi, suggests Larson, Yoga Sutras adopt the pursuit of altered state of awareness, but unlike Buddhism which believes that there is neither self nor soul, Yoga is physicalist and realist like Samkhya in believing that each individual has a self and soul. The third concept Yoga Sutras synthesize into its philosophy is the ancient ascetic traditions of isolation, meditation and introspection, as well as the yoga ideas from the 1st millennium BCE Indian texts such as Katha Upanishad, Shvetashvatara Upanishad and Maitri Upanishad.
Introduction: All religions ask for proof of God.Hinduism offers an experiment to validate God in a personal first hand manner. Experiment called Raja Yoga first formulated by Patanjali In Yoga Sutra.
• Yoga from yuj- meaning joining. Joining with God or with our real self as spirit rather than body and mind
• This is not Hatha-Yoga – which is a preliminary requirement for healthy body to proceed to Raj Yoga Other Yogas
• Bhakti – path of devotion, build up relation with personal God, worship him. Discard dross of worldly desires to allow natural love of God to show up. Para-bhakti, asking for God alone.
• Karma – Action better than inaction BG and Selfless Action is way of overcoming the ego and by seeingGod in everyone experiencing God in all living things
• Jnana marg, using Vivek (discrimination between temporary and permanent Goals as suggested inKathopanisahd ) and Vairagya (dispassion for temporary objectives) seeing God with open eyes.
Theory of Raja Yoga:
1. Samkhya Darshan (purush and prakriti) Matter and Spirit mixed up need to separate
2. Manukya Upanishad Achieve state of Supercoonsciousness (Turiya)
3. Patanjali says this is subduing the mind modifications so that the Self can recognise its true being as
spirit (P.Y. verse4) Practice of Raja Yoga by Patanajali Yoga Sutra
1. Verse 2. Chitta Vriti Nirodha – stop the mind from modifying is the requirement
2. Verse 3. When mind stops modifying the individual experiences his true nature as spirit.
3. Verse 4 Until that happens one keeps identifying oneself with the modification of the mind
The practise has eight limbs (astanga) they are
Yama – Disciplines like truthfulness a(satya) nd celibacy (brahmacharya)
Niyama – Observances in daily life like ; Contentment (Santosh) , austerity (Tap )
Asana Pranayam etc. Finally
Dhyana – One pointed concentration on any form or word which results in mind coming under control
Samadhi – becoming ‘free from modification’ or one with your true nature ‘Self’
1. Experience: All religion fight over proof of God here is an experiment to once and for all sort this out.
Authority of religion: All prophets of all religions talk with authority – the source of this authority is knowingly or
unknowingly mastering rajayoga and experiencing spirit rather than just believing in it
1. Vibhutipad in Yoga Sutra talks about obtaining supernatural powers called Siddhis which can become a
2. Doubt and ill health can be obstruction
3. Which Yoga is suitable? Can cause confusion, which is the best one? But then the people who succeed in
one yoga seem to get honorary title in all other yoga
Practice of Raj Yoga at worse produces a disciplined life style at best it makes one a prophet of mankind